Sunday, October 15, 2006

It's been awhile, I apologize

Things got crazy at work, and kinda crazy at home too, so, I took a time out. A long one. A lot has happened since then, so, lets take a look, shall we?

Polls are showing Granholm momentum going up, and heading towards 50% here and here.

Debbie Stabenow voted to repeal Habeas Corpus, turning the Magna Carta on it's head. I still prefer her to Bouchard, but I'm not forgetting this in six years, I promise.

Dick DeVos seemed clueless and confused during his second debate, which makes me happy, but also makes me wonder why Granholm isn't beating him like he's a detainee in Guantanamo.

So, let's see what we've learned about Dick DeVos so far:

1. I've tried to come up with a clever nickname for him but his first name suits his demeanor so suitably that I have nothing.

2. He wants to teach public school kids (and probably believes) in Intelligent Design.

3. He was in favor of eliminating the Single Business Tax (SBT) without offering any sort of replacement (known fact), but also wants to have EVEN MORE TAX CUTS FOR BUSINESSES. Because if they don't pay their taxes, you will. Seems fair, right?

4. The best way to provide everyone with healthcare is for them to go out and find a job. Because last i checked there's hundreds of thousands of jobs all across Michigan with great wages and benefits just WAITING for someone to apply. So, you know, hop to it, right?

5. Dick DeVos hates women.

Bottom line for me is this... Dick DeVos has no real plan to lead. I'd mention his school voucher baloney, but seriously, I don't think that's a big issue this year. At the end of all the rhetoric and posturing, Dick DeVos is the candidate that's out to screw the average Michigander. In business and in his and Betsy's (and Richard and Helen's) financial support of whackjob initiatives, he has proven over and over again that the only people he cares about are his wealthy friends. And if that doesn't appeal to your sense of civic duty not to elect Dick DeVos, how about this: go and re-watch his debates, and tell me that he is who you want representing you and your interests in Washington, D.C. and abroad. He's flustered, angry, and speaks poorly, like it's some sort of junior high debate team practice.
One more thing; everything he stands FIRMLY behind, everything, is about keeping the priviliged wealthy and goes against the beliefs of your average Michigander. I submit to you this: whether or not you're better off now than you were four years ago, unless you're already independently wealthy, you will NOT be better off four years from now than you are today. And condsidering where we're at as a state, that's a scary proposition.

Sorry for the long post. It's good to be back.

No comments: