Thursday, August 24, 2006

MI GOV- 06: Republican Businessmen for Granholm

John Truscott can't be happy with this:

(updated link from mLIVE)

Businessman gathers Republican support for Granholm

"Gil Ziegler, 68, said he wants to see Republicans keep control of the state House and Senate and win other statewide offices. But when it comes to a choice between GOP gubernatorial candidate Dick DeVos and Granholm, he’s voting Democratic.

“As an automotive supplier, no one needs to tell me that Michigan has taken some hard hits in its manufacturing economy,” said Ziegler, who owns Alken-Ziegler, a privately held metal forming and machining company with offices in Kalkaska and Livonia, where Ziegler also has a home."

Even if this isn't a trend, it's good news and makes a good headline. I'd like to see more hits like this. I'm just waiting for the avalanche of bad news for DeVos.

"I'm going to disappoint some people in the Republican Party. But those are the extremists in our party who want to block stem cell research and who turned out of office a good man like U.S. Rep. Joe Schwarz," Ziegler said. He was referring to the 7th District incumbent who lost the GOP primary earlier this month to Tim Walberg, who said Schwarz was too liberal."
If you've read the brilliant "What's the matter with Kansas" you know that using social wedge issues to move the middle of the political spectrum to the far right is a common Republican tactic. Labeling their own moderates as "too liberal" in an attempt to move the so called "center". I'm glad someone's not sitting passively by while whacko's (DeVos most of all) try to further hijack the Republican party. I know, this diary is kind of half baked, and I wish I could have spent more time on it, but I'm still at work. So, I probably shouldn't have even done this much. Apologies.

No comments: